By Reggie Connell/Managing Editor of The Apopka Voice
Apopka Mayor Bryan Nelson and City Administrator Edward Bass announced that Assistant Fire Chief Sean Wylam has been named fire chief of the Apopka Fire Department. Wylam replaces Chief Chuck Carnesale, who will retire tomorrow at 5 PM.
Bass released the following statement, signed also by Nelson:
We have selected Assistant Fire Chief Sean Wylam as the new Fire Chief effective Friday, August 30, 2019, at 5:01pm. In accordance with the City Charter, Chief Wylam’s appointment will be included on the September 4, 2019, agenda for ratification by the City Council. Chief Wylam has been with the Apopka Fire Department for 16-plus years. He began his career as a firefighter and worked his way up to his current position of Assistant Fire Chief – Training. Chief Wylam has several fire education qualifications, credentials, and certifications some of which are listed below. With the City’s ISO review coming up in the fall, Deputy Chief Ray Thompson will assist Chief Wylam with this review before his retirement.
- Executive Fire Officer – University of Florida
- Graduate of University of Florida Fire and Emergency Services Management Program
- A.S. in Fire Science
- A.S. in Emergency Medical Services
State and National Certifications
- State and National Certified Fire Officer IV
- State and National Fire Safety Inspector II
- FEMA certified Emergency Program Manager
- State Certified Fire Investigator
- State and National Fire Service Instructor
- Orange County Operations Chiefs Group (Chairman)
- Orange County Emergency Response Team-(Emergency Coordinating Officer)
- National Society of Executive Fire Officers -National Fire Academy
- International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) Executive Fire Officer Section Member
Mayor Bryan Nelson and Edward D. Bass II
This is a breaking news story. Stay with The Apopka Voice for more details as they are known.