From Apopka Police Chief Michael McKinley
Summer means a break from school and a chance to take a vacation – unfortunately, summer also provides opportunities for criminal activity in your neighborhoods. You can decrease the chance of becoming a victim this summer by following these tips:
- Install lighting, such as motion lights or dusk to dawn detector lights, on your home’s exterior
- Trim shrubbery around your home to eliminate hiding places
- Do not leave bikes unattended. Lock your bikes, even if you are going to be away for only a few moments
- Be aware of your surroundings and those around you when you walk, jog, or bike
- Install a locking mailbox or ask a neighbor to pick up your mail when on vacation
- Get to know your neighbors! Let a trusted neighbor know if you are planning to travel this summer. Neighbors who know each other look out for each other.