Log in

Gun violence erupts after basketball game at Wekiva High School

Wounded teenager in stable condition


On Friday night, gun violence erupted at Wekiva High School, leaving one person shot and Deputies from the Orange County Sheriff's Office in search of the shooter. At approximately 9 pm, after the conclusion of a basketball game, the OCSO found an unknown assailant had shot a male in his teens in the parking lot near the school's gym, according to the OCSO report.

The victim was transported to a local hospital, where he is in stable condition, according to the OCSO.

Deputies locked down Wekiva High until 11 pm - when they determined the school to be safe.

This was the second incident of gun violence involving Wekiva High in just two months. On November 12th, near the conclusion of a football game against Jones High School in Orlando, shots rang out, killing a 19-year-old man. Police later arrested two teenage suspects in the shooting.

Melissa Byrd, the Orange County School Board member for District 7, which includes Wekiva High- was distraught at the news of another shooting.

"Once again, I am heartbroken that our children - our babies - have been affected by unimaginable violence in what should be a safe space," she said on her Facebook page. "As a school board member who lies awake at night worrying about how to keep over 200,000 children safe daily and a mom who sends her baby to this high school every day, I am completely devastated this morning."

Byrd, however, believes the violence extends beyond the school.
"This is not just a school problem, this is a community problem. I am working with our school board and new Superintendent to address discipline concerns within our schools and working to bring community leaders together to discuss violence in our communities and how these issues are spilling into our schools. We all must take this horror seriously and work together to find solutions so our families do not have to worry about this happening anywhere in our hometown ever again."

Tamara Baker-Drayton, the Principal at Wekiva High, released the following statement:


"Wekiva High School Family, this is Principal Drayton calling to make you aware that after last night's basketball game, our school went on a lockdown following an incident involving gunfire in the parking lot near the gymnasium. Law enforcement immediately began investigating. One individual was injured and transported to the hospital. There were no other injuries reported. Please understand this is an ongoing law enforcement investigation, and I will update you with additional information when it becomes available. Thank you for your support."

As of Sunday night, no arrests have been made in the shooting.

Wekiva High School, Jones High School, Gun Violence, Shooting. Lockdown, Orange County Sheriff's Office


No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here