Joint Statement from Orange County Public Schools and the Classroom Teachers Association
The District and the Classroom Teachers Association reached a tentative salary agreement on contract issues in a daylong meeting on Wednesday. The settlement includes a salary increase for all teachers as well as significant improvements in the evaluation process.
The School Board will consider ratification before July 1, 2016. The union will send out a mail ballot for the purpose of ratification after the Memorial Day weekend.
Items agreed upon May 25, 2016 include:
Salary Increase Proposal
- $500 across the board increase in base salary for all teachers paid after ratification
- $1,500 base salary increase for all teachers who received a rating of “Effective” (Includes the $500 across the board + $1,000 for performance) paid upon receipt of 2015-16 final summative scores.
- $1,850 base salary increase for teachers who received a rating of “Highly Effective” (Includes the $500 across the board + $1,350 for performance) paid upon receipt of 2015-16 final summative scores.
- Beginning teachers’ salary will increase from $39,000 to $39,500
- Per current contract language, a 1.28% increase will be added to all advanced degree supplements
- Employee must be in an active employment status as of the date of payout
Teacher Rights and Responsibilities
- A teacher can make arrangements with another teacher to cover classes in situations where the teacher will be out less than 2 hours, with approval from the administrator
- Teachers shall not be held responsible for paying for instructional materials that a student has lost, destroyed or damaged
- Placement review committee language revised to align with statute
LaunchEd 1:1 Digital Learning Program sites will offer professional development during the school year and optional training during the summer as funds allow
Faculty Advisory Committee (FAC) and the school administrator may discuss and provide a ballot for a faculty to vote on scheduling arrangements to include student contact time, planning time, duty time, use of substitutes, end of course testing schedules, etc. The ballot must be approved by a majority vote.
A waiver for VPK teachers to have 30 hours of student contact per week
For a look at the entire salary agreement, go here.