From the Alexander Smith campaign
Who is Alexander Hendrix Smith? A man with a humble beginning! As a result, he is a humanitarian with a servant’s heart. He put others before himself. Having been a resident of the city of Apopka for the past fifty years he has always had a passion for the city. As a young man, his peers’ desire was to grow up and get out of Apopka. Not Alexander; his desire was to get an education and remain in Apopka to make a difference. He has seen the migrant city grow and become one of the fastest growing cities in Central Florida.
My first involvement with politics was when I attended my first City Council meeting as a ninth grader accompanied by my High School Agriculture teacher, now Apopka City Commissioner and Vice Mayor. That visit made a lasting impression and one of my lifelong goals has been to become one of Apopka’s City Commissioners. Occasionally visiting City Council meetings and observing has helped to prepare me for what now is about to become a reality. Some may ask why now? Because of my belief in God, it has always been and still is my prayer that the Lord will keep me humble so that I can be used by Him and for His Glory. I’m humbled by the people, experiences, places, and positions that He has allowed me to be a part of along this journey. There have been times that self or others have asked me to pursue the office before now. But each time the Lord said not yet and I listened. In January of this year, He spoke and said I have prepared you for this time and once again I listened.
For a young man who was born in Georgia and raised in the Graveyard Quarters of Apopka, it has only been God who has allowed me to become the man I am today and to have arrived at this point in my life. As a high school student, I received the Foliage Sertoma Club Award. Humbled and appreciative of such an honor my desire has been to give back to my community. Because of my diverse background which has always involved working with people from my early childhood until the present, has served as a springboard to become the next Apopka City Commissioner. From working in the citrus industry picking oranges, firing orange groves at night, to working in the citrus packing house; not to mention working on the muck in Zellwood pulling corn, picking cucumbers and cutting cabbage has taught me to appreciate all professions. After graduating from the citrus industry and the muck I was blessed with the opportunity to be employed by Green Thumb where I was the manager of one of their locations by the time I was a senior in High School. During my time in college, I worked for the National Forestry Service during the summers and was the assistant manager for Majic Market Food Stores to assist with the cost of my education.
I returned to Apopka after graduating from Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU) receiving my degree in Agricultural Education with a minor in Horticultural Science and have resided here until present. Some of the accomplishments that have helped to prepare me for a time such as this is. One of the founding board members and past President of AIA (Apopka Improvement Association) and one of the founding board members of the Billie Dean Community Garden.
- Past President of the Florida Association of Agricultural Educators
- Past President of the Florida FFA (Future Farmers of America) Board of Directors.
- Past President of the Orange County Agriculture Teachers Association ( 15 years +)
- Served two terms on the Orange County Board of County Commissioner Agricultural Advisory Board.
- Served on the Advisory Board for the Orange County Agricultural Extension Service.
- Member of the first Agriscience Leadership Team for the State of Florida.
- Treasurer of the South Apopka Ministerial Alliance.
- Member of the African American Council of Christian Clergy (AACCC).
- Member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
- Member of NAACP
- Member of FNGLA
- Member of Orange County Farm Bureau
- Immediate past president of the General Grand Masonic Congress A.F. & A.M. of USA.
- Past Most Worshipful Grand Master of the Most Worship, Prince Hall Grand Lodge A.F.&A.M. of the state of Florida and is an Honorary Grand Master of the Most Worshipful Union Grand Lodge F.&A.M. of Florida.
- Founder and Executive Director of the Prince Hall Scholarship and Economic Development Foundation.
In order to be a good leader, you must first be a good follower. I have demonstrated that I’m a good follower as shown by the positions and places that God has allowed me to serve.
It is my belief that all men and women are created equal and regardless of our backgrounds or our walk in life that it takes those blended experiences to improve the quality of life for every individual. I have not forgotten where I came from and what it took to get to crossroad road in my life. When elected I will work alongside and with the Mayor and the other elected commissioners to represent all of the citizens in Apopka. So when you go to the polls to vote on March 13, 2018; a vote for Alexander H. Smith will be a vote for the voice of all the people.
Note: This is a paid political advertisement from the Alexander Smith campaign.