Back to School 2017
From Orange County Public Schools
Today, 208,000 students will head to classes in Orange County Public Schools. The first two weeks of school is a very active time and can create significant traffic issues, so OCPS and law enforcement join together to encourage parents to follow these tips:
• Walk or ride bikes with your children to school to establish routes that are well-known by you and your children.
• You may also want to join with other neighbors to do a Walking School Bus program for your children to join together and walk in groups. If you’d like to learn about it, check walkingschoolbus.org.
• If you are eligible for school bus transportation, please use it! The average ride time for our students is 26 minutes, and we have one of the best safety records in the country!
• If you must drive, please carpool with other parents to decrease the number of cars arriving at the same time, or park a couple blocks away and walk with your child to school to cut down on congestion.
• Motorists please take caution, especially around our schools and school buses. Fines for going around a school bus or not stopping for a pedestrian in a crosswalk are high.
• Obey crossing guards. OCPS partner agencies play an important role in creating a safe walk to school by hiring these crossing guards to help our students cross busy roads and highways.