As Floridians begin the task of preparing for Idalia, the Florida Department of Health in Orange County (DOH-Orange) is urging the public to avoid carbon monoxide (CO) exposure by taking precautions with gas-powered appliances and charcoal or gas grills.
CO is an invisible, odorless, tasteless gas and is highly poisonous. Depending on the level of exposure, CO may cause fatigue, weakness, chest pains for those with heart disease, shortness of breath upon exertion, nausea, vomiting, headaches, confusion, lack of coordination, impaired vision, loss of consciousness, and, in severe cases, death.
DOH-Orange recommends the following precautions to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:
If you start to feel sick, dizzy, or weak while using a generator or other gas-powered equipment, get to fresh air RIGHT AWAY. DO NOT DELAY.
If a person has collapsed or is not breathing, call 911 for emergency medical assistance immediately from a safe location such as outside or from a neighbor’s home. Call the Florida Poison Information Center at 1-800-222-1222 for additional information and advice about CO poisoning.
About the Florida Department of Health
The department, nationally accredited by the Public Health Accreditation Board, works to protect, promote, and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts.