The next meeting of the Apopka Parking Ordinance Advisory Committee will be held tonight, Monday, August 1st at 6:30 PM. The meeting will be the Council Chamber at City Hall. The meeting is open to the public and public comments will be heard.
The committee’s first meeting was held on Monday, July 18th. at the Leroy F. Gilliam Training Center.
The members of the committee are:
- Jackie Sandler – Pines of Wekiva
- Dan Burrington – Piedmont Lakes
- Steve Coleman – Lake Todd Estates
- Gudrun “Goddy” Davis – Errol Estate
- Misha Corbett – Dream Lake Estates
- Mike Files – Rock Springs Ridge
- Marvin Guttman – Rock Springs Ridge
The committee is chaired by Apopka Police Chief Michael McKinley and Captain Randy Fernandez.
Chief McKinley opened the first meeting of the committee by laying out the following criteria for any parking ordinance:
- Public Safety is paramount. Police, Fire and Emergency Medical Services vehicles must be able to travel freely on the streets of Apopka.
- Other government services cannot be hampered. This would include garbage and recycling vehicles as well as mail delivery.
McKinley then laid out the schedule and timeline for the committee. The committee will meet bi-weekly. McKinley stated that he hoped the committee could conclude its work within 90 days. McKinley also said that he did not want to rush the committee’s afforests to reach a solution that would work in the long term. “We do not want to be doing this again two years from now,” McKinley said.
The committee members all agreed to study the parking ordinances of other cities in Central Florida and report back at the tonight’s meeting.