From Katie Bugbee of
Fill bellies and fuel brains with these quick kid-friendly after-school snack recipes.
When the kids come home from school, chances are good that the first thing they say to you isn’t “Hi! How was your day?” or “Gee, I really missed you!” Nope. No matter whether you’re their parent, their babysitter, or their nanny, it’s way more likely that their greeting will solely consist of two words: “I’M HUNGRY.”
If that sounds like your darling little ones, then you’re probably in need of some kid-friendly snack ideas. Here are three easy recipes for yummy and nutritious after-school snacks that will keep their bellies full — at least until they start saying, “I’m hungry, when’s dinner?”
[MOMS ALSO READ: “Your Guide to Healthy After-School Snacks“]
1) Easy, Healthy Nachos
And yes, they do exist.
- A handful of whole wheat tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup clack beans
- 1/4 cup low-fat cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 tbsp. non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. guacamole
- Preheat oven to low broil.
- Layer tortilla chips, beans and cheese in a pan. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Remove once cheese is melted. Top with salsa, yogurt and guacamole.
2) Apple Quesadillas
You can sell them to your hungry hordes as “Queso with a crunch.” (No one can turn down queso!)
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 whole wheat quesadilla tortilla
- Handful of shredded cheddar cheese
- 6-8 thin apple slices
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Lay a flour tortilla in the pan and top one half of it with grated cheese (reserving a little extra cheese).
- Place the apple slices in the slightly melted cheese and let settle. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and fold the tortilla in half. Cook until golden on both sides.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
3) The Protein Parfait
“Parfait” means “perfect” in French — which is appropriate, since this is the perfect after-school snack!
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup of fresh berries
- 1 cup low-fat, high protein, and fiber granola
- Layer these ingredients (minus the honey), one at a time: Start with the yogurt, add berries on top, sprinkle granola and repeat.
- Drizzle honey on top.