New Publix coming to Apopka

New Publix coming to Apopka

From the City of Apopka Public Information Office

Publix Super Markets has submitted preliminary concept plans for an attractive new, open-air shopping center on a portion of 18 acres directly east of the newly opened Wekiva Parkway interchange with West Kelly Park Road and west of Plymouth Sorrento Road.

The concept plan is a very initial proposal to get the city’s early feedback. If approved, the development will be located in Apopka’s Kelly Park area, which includes a special form-based code to encourage more attractive urban development.

Publix proposes a 46,013-square-foot store in the first phase. The site also is proposed with a large gateway entry with water fountains and less than an acre of outparcel property at the corner of West Kelly Park and Plymouth Sorrento.

The second phase of development could have a 3,000-square-foot restaurant building and a 3,600-square-foot retail building separated from the grocery store. Phase three includes a 7,200-square-foot retail building. Phase four will include a 6,000-square-foot retail building.

Publix is among the largest supermarket chains in the country with more than 1,154 stores. Retail sales for 2016 reached $34 billion.

Please Thank Our Advertisers for Supporting Independent Local News by Clicking on Their Ads

Related Articles

18 Comments

1. Sunny

I sure hope they approve this as the Publix on Rock Springs Road is so outdated even though they tried to remodel it the and traffic and parking is horrendous especially on weekends. They have tried to eliminate the traffic issue by putting a right turn only sign up near the gas station exit but it is still not enough. Hopefully the new development will be much better.
    Now, how long will it take for this to happen? Still waiting for the “town center” .

2. Mama Mia

Rock Springs Road Publix is small but it is convenient to those of us who live nearby and the employees are very friendly. I like the small Publix across from Wekiva Island area too, near Sabal Point. The new Publix that is proposed to come in, is definitely needed! The newer Publix on 441 (Mt. Dora Publix) before you get to Renniger’s Market from there and way across the acres and acres of rural areas behind that Publix all the way out to highway 44 there is hardly any places to buy groceries. Until recently when they put in the newer Publix on 44 which is either Eustis or Sorrento from there, and all the way toward Sanford it was a food desert area except for the IGA grocery store at Mt. Plymouth area, which I like very much. Other than a few convenient stores, and the small amount of groceries that the dollar stores carry, a real food desert!!! Maybe the opening of the new proposed Publix will help to relieve some of the traffic on RSR and Welch. Let’s hope so!

3. Mama Mia

I’m sure it probably isn’t in the form-based code, but you know it would be convenient and a big plus if they had a covered roof with decorative support columns that a person could drive up and under and drop a customer off, and then go park, and to wait during rainstorms for your spouse, or other person to go drive the car up and under, to have a store employee load your groceries in the car, out of the frequent rainstorms here in Florida, to keep customers from getting wet, plus keep the groceries dry.

4. Mama Mia

I’m sure it probably isn’t in the form-based code, but you know it would be convenient and a big plus if they had a covered roof with decorative support columns that a person could drive up and under and drop a customer off, and then go park, and to wait until you see them come out the doors, during rainstorms for your spouse, or other person, and go drive the car up and under, to have a store employee load your groceries in the car, out of the frequent rainstorms here in Florida, to keep customers from getting wet, plus keep the groceries dry.

5. Mama Mia

Yes, a person who is older and who might have some physical problems with mobility or driving sure is left out in that huge surrounding area that I described, as it is now, because unless they drive or have someone to depend on to take them miles and miles away, a person could starve. There is no public bus services out there, in those broad areas, that I know of. Even a younger person with no transportation or unreliable transportation is up a creek without a paddle when it comes to needing food and grocery supplies out there in that area.

6. Mama Mia

I don’t care for what happened to the old Publix stores in Mt. Dora that were closed and then sat empty a long time, when the newer ones were built. Like the one that was on the old 441 across from the Golden Triangle Center, which eventually after sitting empty, became an out-of-control country nightclub (how well I know….LOL) and then when Publix had moved out to the newer 441, then that one was shut down too, and right across the road, in came the newer one, leaving the older one there sitting empty. It doesn’t help the community at all, really. I hope they keep the older one in Apopka at Rock Springs and Welch open and don’t close it. I really have to wonder about it. They sure get the business so I don’t know why they would…..they haven’t said anything about it, of course.

7. Mama Mia

You got me started now on this grocery store talk. We used to have George’s Smokehouse, which I believe became BI-LO, we had Thriftway at Orange North in Apopka, which is now Victoria Plaza where Harbour Freight Tools is now. We had other Winn-Dixie stores, one where the Victory Church is on Park Av., we had one at Wekiva Riverwalk shopping plaza, and we had a Goodings there too. My favorite place to buy birthday cake, OMG, their’s was wonderful, and so fresh and yummy. I really really miss them. We had Pantry Pride, we had Food Lion, Parten’s Market, and two big Albertsons. We got Walmart grocery now, Sam’s Club, and now the dollar stores have grocery sections, as well as the Walgreens, and CVS’s. We got Aldi, and Sav A Lot, and Bravo, and some small ethnic grocery stores. I really wish the vacant Albertsons at Rock Springs Road and Welch would open for something rather than sit empty. Probably more that I can’t remember……….

8. Mama Mia

When I was a kid back in the sixties, and we lived in another state, my parents would take me and we would drive to Florida and go on vacations. We would drive A1A down the east coast of Florida and we would picnic right alongside the beach, after stopping at the Publix deli and buying fried chicken, baked beans, potato salad, coleslaw, rolls, sodas, and deserts. I was thrilled, as I had never been to a Publix at that time, we didn’t have them in our state, and eating at the beach was thrilling to me. We would go all the way to Key West and on other trips to Florida, we would go down the west coast to Sanibel Island, and other places. My dad’s wish was to move to Florida, which we did later on………

9. Mama Mia

Let me just say I know firsthand what it is like to be dropped off, along with my Daddy, by my mother in the middle of the seven-mile bridge over the keys, so we could fish, and she would come back later for us, but oops guess what???…..we forgot hooks….LOL. And that was a long long bridge to walk to the other end and there was hardly any stepping room with big rigs whoozing by and the old bridge rails were very low on my legs even as young as I was…..LOL ….Scary! Thought that was going to be the last of us. Didn’t have cell phones then.

10. Mama Mia

Our grocery stores that we shopped at back then were the A & P, the Red & White, and the BI-LO that used to have a huge steer on the top of the store that was life- size and made out of fiberglass, I suppose. That was pretty much it for our area, before we moved to Florida. I don’t remember any pharmacies in any of the groceries, or plastic bags, only brown paper bags, nor recycling bins, or tote bags for sale like that are everywhere now for carrying groceries, or even all the extras like flowers, clothes, and things like that for sale…..just groceries.

11. Mama Mia

Don’t remember any ethnic grocery stores or health food stores either……..but we had green stamps that we collected faithfully for the things my Mama wanted and got. There wasn’t any banks inside the grocery stores up there either, like that became popular around here, then disappeared, just as quickly as they appeared. Funny how things change with the times.

12. Mama Mia

I don’t know very much about grocery store’s profit margins, but I have heard that it is a very slim margin of profit on each and every item sold, often just pennies, and the competition is stiff, with other grocery stores trying to be # number one, plus so much food going to waste, and now there is additional fear with Amazon moving big time into the food business!

13. Mama Mia

Okay, I see I posted the word” deserts” when I was referring to sweets, I meant to post “desserts”…. I am getting my barren” food desert areas” and my ” dessert sweets” mixed up. Geesh……I am getting as bad as Trump and his posting mistakes on Twitter, but hey, at least I am not the President!

14. Mama Mia

Trump just had to take snippy pot shots at John McCain while in Arizona, didn’t he? Plus the ” dishonest, fake news reporters and media”, too, he complained about……the big jerk, should be running the country and taking care of business, instead of being out and about with all this extra early campaigning for his next presidential term. He just got back from vacation, after all. So ridiculous………..

15. Mama Mia

Pence is worried about the violence in Venezuela, but doesn’t seem too concerned about the violence in this country. I guess the next one to exit the White House will be Mitch McConnell probably since the president can’t seem to get along with anybody, anywhere, except Putin. I really expect Sheriff Joe will get pardoned and then invited to be a part of the Trump administration, even with a conviction on his record. The reality show continues………