Friends to the bitter end: A recipe for political disaster?

Friends to the bitter end: A recipe for political disaster?

Opinion

By Greg Jackson

After watching folks rally around a convicted former Florida Congressperson, who misused resources from a make-believe nonprofit organization to fund a lavish lifestyle, I had the strangest thought: Isn’t it great to have a friend who will stick with you no matter what. While loyalty is something we all appreciate, it is really the loyalty of the “blind variety” that could prove to be problematic. Blind loyalty could lead to the degradation of one’s moral compass and a perpetuation of poor decision making. Get caught doing drugs; hey, a little fun never hurt anyone. Have an issue with the IRS because you misused funds; no problem, it’s not your fault taxes are such a burden. You take money from shady business deals; hey no big deal because no one is perfect. While I realize and agree that no one is without fault, I do believe that a little accountability never hurt anyone, even in small things such as keeping your word. When we condone and overlook the bad acts of one person, the affects are much more expansive than we realize. First off, the guilty person does not have to face the full consequences of his or her actions, which in effect justifies their actions.

But what hurts more is the culture of corruption or apathy that may result.

Greg Jackson

To prove my point, I did a little experiment. A few weeks ago, I let my son eat his sister’s Doritos and when she came and told me what happened, instead of correcting or chastising him, I had him to come down, told him I understood he was hungry and actually allowed him to get another snack to satisfy his hunger until dinner time. The following day without asking, my son ate his sister’s ice cream sandwiches. Again, I justified his actions by saying he was  probably just hungry and did not take any action. A few days later when the batteries went out in my son’s television remote, instead of walking to the kitchen to get replacement batteries, he took his sister’s batteries from her remote, again without asking. When my daughter came to me about the latest infraction, I completely disregarded his bad acts and instead gave her a short lecture on the importance of sharing. The next day, my daughter decided to turn the tables on her brother and went into his room and took several of his drawing pencils. When my son came to tell me what his sister had done she came right along with him, and before he could finish telling of his sister’s terrible deed she said matter-of-factly, “If you can do it, why can’t I?” What was revealed from this simple experiment was that if the bad acts of one is not corrected, not only will their actions continue, but others will follow suit and start doing comparable bad acts, which in this case was petty theft.

Such is the state of politics. We have all heard of or witnessed in some form the culture of corruption that has unfortunately become associated with politics do to the bad acts of a few politicians, but, unlike other aspects of society we do not call for correction or consequences. It is as if we have come to expect politicians to cut deals with friends or associates without consequences, to lie about accomplishments without consequences, to disregard laws without consequences or simply to come around and pander for votes only when it is election time without consequences. Though minor in comparison to drugs, taxes and sex, allowing a politician to make promises without follow through or accountability can, and often times do, lead to greater transgressions. Many of us excuse the actions of elected officials and turn a blind eye to their antics as if they are our best friends who deserve our loyalty, when in fact the only loyalty they show to anyone else is their own efforts to remain in elected office. It is past time that we hold elected officials to the same standards that we hold ourselves, which is to deal with each other honestly and fairly, not just out of our own selfish gains or convenience. Perhaps instead of sitting quietly by and condoning the actions of our so-called political friends, we would do better in calling a bitter end to our loyalty to them — in my humble opinion.

Greg Jackson is a former Assistant Attorney General for the State of Florida, veteran, current Orange County District 2 Representative on the Board of Zoning Adjustments, and General Counsel for the Community Redevelopment Agency. He has been as an active member of the Central Florida community for nearly 20 years. He was most recently a candidate for the Florida House District 45 seat.

Please Thank Our Advertisers for Supporting Independent Local News by Clicking on Their Ads

Related Articles

16 Comments

1. Mama Mia

Do you care to share your thoughts on the trial of Ms. Corrine Brown, Greg? The fact that the jurors could not seem to reach an agreement on her guilt that was days into deliberation, then one juror heard a comment from another juror, something about “higher beings” and that juror reports it, then the other juror was questioned and removed from the case, that is, the one who had said something about “higher beings” which actually was a statement that the man said was,” that the Holy Spirit told him Ms. Brown was not guilty.” This juror was dismissed. Another juror was selected and pronto, a guilty verdict was rendered on 18 counts of charges very quickly. This was not a fair trial, plain and simple, in my opinion, and I don’t care who says it was. The authority figures probably read through the” writing on the wall” that the juror was not going to find her guilty, and they conveniently replaced him, because they wanted her found guilty, and she would not have been convicted if one juror voted her not guilty. Do you care to share your thoughts about the juror’s replacement Greg, as to do you believe the juror’s replacement was justified or not? I know you are much wiser than me on court proceedings, because of your extensive legal background.

2. Mama Mia

Do you care to share your thoughts on the trial of Ms. Corrine Brown, Greg? The fact that the jurors could not seem to reach an agreement on her guilt that was days into deliberation, then one juror heard a comment from another juror, something about “higher beings” and that juror reports it, then the other juror was questioned and removed from the case, that is, the one who had said something about “higher beings” which actually was a statement that the man said was,” that the Holy Spirit told him Ms. Brown was not guilty.” That juror was dismissed. Another juror was selected and pronto, a guilty verdict was rendered on 18 counts of charges very quickly. This was not a fair trial, plain and simple, in my opinion, and I don’t care who says it was. The authority figures allegedly and probably read through the” writing on the wall” that the juror was not going to find her guilty, and they conveniently replaced him, because they wanted her found guilty, and she would not have been convicted if one juror voted her not guilty. Do you care to share your thoughts about the juror’s replacement Greg, and do you believe the juror’s replacement was justified or not? I know you are much wiser than me on court proceedings, because of your extensive legal background.

3. Mama Mia

This Anthony Grant from Eatonville trial…….maybe I’m just dense, but I just don’t get that pop tart trial talk…..???????? WTH?????

4. Mama Mia

So Greg, do you think Corrine’s friends should have just dropped their friendship with her, like a hot potato, when she was charged or found guilty??? That somehow being a good friend to her, would corrupt themselves likewise? That is called a fair weather friend, in my book, Greg. If she was an axe murderer, okay that would be a different matter. LOL

5. MAGA

IMO, Ms. Brown is a bum. She was in the position so long that she felt she became untouchable. And she had no problems going along with the BS gerrymandering of her district….Jax and slivers down to Orlando. Give me a break.

And Grant. He’s another bum. That man is the epitome of the smoke/fire cliche. Have a read and keep in mind this is from 15 YEARS AGO.

And before you think I’m a racist Dem basher. Rick Scott is also a bum. Mitch McConnell is a bum.

6. Mama Mia

MAGA, as for Ms. Brown, “she had no problems going along with the BS gerrymandering of her district….,Jax and slivers down to OrMlando”……wait, Ms. Brown was not the person who drew up the boundary lines of the district, and that district that she ran for and was elected to, had to be approved of by the courts. If she wanted to run for elected office. why should she not “go along” with the district drawn up?

7. Mama Mia

MAGA, on the other hand, the district Corrine Brown served, the one you speak of, that she served so long successfully in, was reshaped and redrawn by the GOP for the exact reason of hoping to get her defeated, IMO. She fought tooth and nail to retain her district lines, and I don’t blame her, as it was GOP political motivated to overthrow her. These charges came up before her re-election bid, which turned out to be her defeat, and we, the voters, will never know the truth, if it was due to the charges filed before hand of the election, or due to the newly drawn up redistrict. Whether one from this area wants to admit it or not, we lost a very good representative and good representation of monies going toward our area for improvements.

8. Mama Mia

MAGA, all the people you mention above in your posting, are very intelligent people, I guess my descriptions of each one of them would be different than “bum”, the description you chose, but they all have their pitfalls, and some you mentioned, I sure don’t share their political agendas. Some of them just haven’t realized their pitfalls yet however, they will sooner or later, no doubt. And yes, I am also fully aware of the political antics that go on in Eatonville, or as the article you linked, refers to it as “Cheatonville” LOL

9. Mama Mia

It is insulting to me to see Ms. Brown facing the music in the courts, found guilty at a questionable trial process, IMO, when there are politicians everywhere across this nation, and some in the daily news every single day, about conflict of interest, nepotism rules ignored, campaign money abuse, non-profit abuse, dealings with foreign mobsters, collusion with enemies of our country, the highest Medicaid illegal billings by a certain hospital owned by someone very well known to us Floridians, and yet all eyes and fire and brimstone and hateful comments about Ms. Brown.

10. Mama Mia

Also highly insulting to me is riding down the 429, which is such a beautiful highway, and to see who it is named after, Daniel Webster. He is not worthy of the honor at all! Sitting by the tv and watching him and the other GOP’s celebrating repealing Obamacare and while at the same time not offering a equal or better healthcare option knowing people will suffer and some will die because of it, while at the same THAT BUNCH has great health insurance, super cheap, with their celebrating and grinning on the Rose Garden lawn at the White House….yes, I saw Daniel Webster grinning there, with his rat- fink face smile….shameful!

11. Mama Mia

And OMG, Trump over in Saudi Arabia bending over getting a gold chain placed around his neck, red carpet rolled out, fighter jets streaming red, white, and blue smoke over head, brass band, cannons blasting, and the highest civilian award given out to Trump, OMG. Billions of dollars of arms sales to a country always suspected as the root to terrorism, in order to fight terrorism…..right! Oh, but it creates jobs so he says, but at what cost to our military men and women??????? Go figure…..whose side is Trump on anyway, seriously????? I thought it was American First, but I guess, that was just campaign rhetoric.

12. Mama Mia

Can’t wait for Trump to get back to Washington DC to face the music. Turn up the heat on him, and make him sweat! Bring him back to reality. Oh, but maybe the searing desert heat in the middle east gave him a bad case of amnesia, especially when the new investigator take the bully by the horns……..

13. Mama Mia

My husband told me to read the sports page yesterday in the Orlando Sentinel because I never read that section, as it is poodle paper to me, anyway there was an article on page C5, I think it was, about when Donald Trump decided to get into the business of horse racing, like trying to get to the Kentucky Derby and other VIP horse races. Read it, and you will see just how honorable of a man Trump is……NOT! The poor horse, had to have his front hoofs amputated off due to Trump’s alleged insistence to keep pushing the horse, and training it, after a virus outbreak, where the very experienced trainer said that it was not advisable to keep pushing the horse, and wait and see, if it developed a virus, which the other horses it was housed with had gotten exposed to the virus in Ocala, Fl. Trump had also allegedly cheated the horse’s owner, who he was suppose to pay $500,000 for it, even after Trump agreed on that amount, Trump didn’t pay nothing at all, and the owner pushed back and Trump later said he would pay only $ 250,000 making the horse owner angry again, then the horse got a virus here in Florida, after the fact, and Trump pushed the horse, with training when he was told it needed rest, almost killing it, and the owner never got any money for his championship horse out of Trump, and the horse never raced again, or ran again, and had a short life……DJ Trump, was the horse’s name, after Trump insisted on renaming the horse, that he never paid one cent for.

14. Mama Mia

Yeah, and another thing…….I must stop viewing the City of Apopka’s Facebook page as it makes me want to barf….barf….barf……talk about overdo!