From the Apopka Emergency Operations Center
PRELIMINARY DAMAGE ASSESSMENT BEGINS. With daylight, City of Apopka personnel have begun to make a preliminary assessment of storm damage from Hurricane Irma.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW:
– A county-wide curfew remains in effect across Orange County until 6 p.m. Tropical-storm force winds will last until the afternoon.
– Multiple power outages have been reported throughout Apopka. The City is reaching out to Duke Energy to provide a coordinated response.
– There are multiple reports of power lines down. These lines could be live, and thus dangerous. Avoid trees and downed limbs unless you are sure there they are not touching downed lines.
– City of Apopka crews will go out as soon as it is safe to begin removing trees from streets and rights of way.
– There are reports of minor street flooding. Avoid Piedmont-Wekiva Road between State Road 436 and Oasis Apartments.
– There are multiple intersections where the lights are out. If you approach an intersection with a traffic light out, it becomes a 4-way stop.
– Potable water pressure has been maintained throughout Apopka except in one reported neighborhood where a water main break occurred.
– Please check on your neighbors and friends to determine if they are OK.